In recognition of the impact of the landscape architecture profession on public health, safety, and welfare, states regulate landscape architects through licensure.
Landscape architects often work with other licensed professionals including architects and civil/environmental engineers.
For more information please check out ASLA Licensure.
Professional Organizations to Join
Landscape Architecture Job Outlook
Employment of landscape architects is projected to increase by 4% from 2018 - 2028. There has never been a more critical time for landscape architects. The need for planning and developing new and existing landscapes is expected to drive employment growth, along with the ever-increasing presence of environmental concerns and the increased demand for sustainably designed buildings and landscapes. You can find more information at the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Office of Occupational Statistics and Employment Projections.
Job Search Websites
Favorite LARC Job Search Websites
Job Shadow is an excellent experience for the students and it's a great way for the professional community to meet and inspire the next generation of professionals. Learn more!
Check out ASLA's Career Discovery brochure about what is landscape architecture!
Employers of UMD LARC Graduates
Employers of UMD LARC Graduates
- AB Consultants
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Angler Environmental
- Ann P. Stokes Landscape Architects
- Annapolis Landscape Architects
- Appletree Landscape Architects
- Arentz Landscape Architects
- Ayers Saint Gross
- Baltimore County Government, Office of Planning
- Beechtree Landscape and Design
- Ben Dyer Associates, Inc.
- Benning & Associates
- Board of the Baltimore County Commission for Environmental Quality
- Boston Redevelopment Authority
- Bozzuto Construction
- BP Realty Investments, LLC.
- Burgess & Niple Inc.
- Business Engineering, Inc.
- Campion Landscape Architecture
- Capitol Development Design, Inc.
- Cedar Ridge Community Church
- Chapel Valley Landscaping
- City of Sanford, North Carolina
- Clark Construction Group, LLC
- Clearwater Landscape & Nursery
- Cooperative Extension Service, University of Maryland
- Coulter, Jewell, and Thames, PA
- Daft, McCune, Walker, Inc.
- Davis, Bowen, & Friedel Inc.
- Department of Parks and Recreations, NYC
- Design Collective, Inc.
- Design Workshop
- DHM Design
- Earth Scape Design
- Environmental Quality Resources, Inc.
- Facchina Construction
- Frederick County Public Schools
- Frederick Ward Associates
- G.E. Fielder & Associates
- Glenwood Gardens
- Grace E. Fielder and Associates
- Graham Landscape Architecture
- Greenhorne & O'Mara, Inc.
- Gregory Lombardi Design
- Gutschick, Little & Weber, P.A.
- Heike Nolke Landscape Architect
- HFF, LP
- Hill International
- Historic London Town Gardens
- HMH Landscape Architecture
- Homestead Gardens
- International HNTB Company
- Johnson, Mirand, & Thompson
- KCI Technologies
- Land Care Group, Inc.
- Land Design South
- Landscape Architecture Firm
- Landscape Design, Inc.
- Lewis Scully Gionet Inc.
- Lockwood Kessler & Bartlett, Inc.
- Long & Foster, REALTORS
- Lush Designs
- Mahan Rykiel Associates
- Maryland National Capital Planning Commission
- Meridian Development
- Montgomery County Public Schools
- Morris & Ritchie Associates Inc.
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
- Neighborhood Design Center
- Nelson, Byrd, Woltz
- New York Restoration Project
- Organic Approach
- P.E.L.A. Design, Inc.
- Parker Rodriguez Inc.
- Parsons Brinckerhoff
- Patton Harris Rust & Associates
- Petro Design/Build Inc.
- Pleasant Living
- Resource Design
- Robert Brown Associates
- Rodgers Consulting
- Sabra, Wang & Associates, Inc.
- Salt Lake City Corporation
- Scape Landscape Architecture
- Scott Brinitzer Design Associates
- Sebastian Landscape Design
- Shaw Farm CSA
- Shawmut Design and Construction
- Simone Jaffe Collins, Landscape Architecture
- Site Design Group, Inc.
- Site Resources Inc.
- Skye Design Studio, Ltd.
- Slater Associates
- Soltesz Associates Inc.
- South Fork Studio Landscape Architecture
- STACK Coordination
- State Highway Commission
- State of Maryland
- Stephen Einstein & Associates, P.C.
- Strata Design Assoc., Inc.
- STUDIO39 Landscape Architecture, PC
- Sun Nurseries
- The Edgecombe Group, Inc.
- The Faux Group
- The Laurel Group
- The Low Impact Development Center
- The Onyx Group
- The Planning center|DC&E
- The Sequoia Company
- Toole Design Group
- TSG Services
- University of Maryland, Facilities Management
- Urban Engineering & Associates
- Urban, Ltd.
- USDA Forest Service
- Marcris, Hendricks & Glascow
- Vika, Inc.
- Vitrum Studios
- William C. Smith Construction
- William H. Gordon Associates Inc.
Landscape Architecture Career Information
In recent decades, the concern for a better natural and built environment has grown significantly. This national and global involvement has increased professional employment opportunities for the landscape architect. Landscape architects hold positions in private design firms and corporations, public agencies and on the faculties of universities and colleges. Types of work attracting graduating students include the following:
Design and planning for historic areas, residences, resort developments, health care facilities and academic campuses;
Design for urban parks, plazas and streetscapes; Landscape planning for waterways, coastal areas and the vegetation and wildlife they influence;
Feasibility studies and site planning for commercial and industrial centers and new communities;
Land planning, land management and master planning projects;
Recreational and playground areas;
Reclamation of mined lands, landfill sites and abandoned properties.
Current List of Job Opportunities
Graduates pursuing jobs in private practice follow a well defined path from entry level to partner. Movement up the ladder from one level to the next typically takes 4 or 5 years depending on the size of the firm and the work habits of the individual. Salary information for the MD/DC/VA area is available from the bureau of labor statistics.
Entry Level ($45-60K)
- Design - Graphic Presentations - Construction Details - Site Layout - Specifications - Site Inventory & Analysis - Computer-aided Design (CAD) - Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Project Manager ($60-85K)
- Design - Quality Control - Technical Supervision – Budgeting - Construction Management - Estimation
- Design - Client Communication - Proposal Submission - Project Supervision
- Design - Hiring Decisions - New Directions – Marketing - Client Communication
Public and Non-Profit Practice
Graduates pursuing jobs in the public and non-profit areas follow career paths laid out by their employers. Our students work in federal, state and municipal agencies including Planning and Zoning, Recreation and Parks, Transportation, US Military (as civilians), and Community Forestry to name a few. Graduates pursuing non-profit careers work at Land Trusts, Public Gardens, Conservation Organizations, Design Centers, and any organization that provides design and conservation services to aid the general public.
Interested in hiring one of our students or alum? Please send us a job ad and we will be more than happy to send it out to our students and alumni! We will also post it on our Current List of Job Opportunities. Please email Marcina Garner at firstname.lastname@example.org with the opportunity. Thanks!