College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Landscape Architecture

Prospective Students FAQs


First-time Freshmen, International and Transfer Students

Please find below some of the commonly asked questions. If you have any additional questions or need clarifying on some issues please contact us as or

All Prospective Students

What will I learn to do?

  • You will learn how to beautify urban areas, create sustainable landscapes and even how to deal with some of the current issues such as water and land issues. You will learn how to work with architecture, engineering, art and the sciences in order to create tomorrow’s landscape architecture. Learn to change the world through outdoor spaces.

When should I take my first class in the Landscape Architecture curriculum?

  • As soon as you are accepted into the University of Maryland! Please contact us so we can work with you to see which classes you can take to stay on track.

I was accepted to the University of Maryland but my major is not Landscape Architecture. I would like to explore switching to LARC though. What should I do next?

  • Please come see us so we can work with you on the possibility of declaring Landscape Architecture. Even if you had initially put Landscape Architecture as your intended major but were put in another major- come see us!

What is the importance of getting an accredited degree? Do I really need a license to practice?

  • It means you’ll be out there designing sooner! Your undergraduate degree would be equivalent to a graduate professional degree in Landscape Architecture. Not all design programs are professional so in order to practice and be licensed you are required to attend a professional graduate degree program or work as an apprentice for many years- sometime up to 5+ years! Learn more on our Accreditation page!

I don't know how to draw. Can I still major in landscape architecture?

  • Yes! We’ll teach you! Plus, we have a ton of computer design program at your disposal.

What are my housing options on campus?

  • Please visit the Department of Resident Life site for more information. Graduate Students: Go to Our Housing > Specific Populations >Graduate Students.

International Students

Are there any TOEFL/IELTS requirements?

Transfer Students

I am in another major on campus. Can I still declare Landscape Architecture?

  • Yes! Please make an appointment to meet with us and we will be more than happy to go over with you our program, and what steps you need to take to declare our major. Even if you are not yet sure you want to declare our major, we are happy to meet with you and answer any questions you may have about our major!

How can I find out if courses at my local community college will transfer to UMD?

  • Please visit our Transfer Students page for links to helpful resources. There you will find links to resources that allow you to look up your school and see what courses are accepte to UMD.

  Students work with local communities on design projects!

Ready to learn more? Contact us today to receive more information!  

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2019. Web Accessibility