College of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Landscape Architecture

Our History

1856Maryland legislature established the Maryland Agricultural College.
1870'sHobart Hutton appointed as first "professor of Agriculture, Horticulture and Arboriculture, Landscape Gardening and Rural Architecture." A. Grabowski appointed as first "Professor of Agriculture, Architecture and Drawing."
1910'sDepartment of Horticulture created. B.W. Anspon appointed as first "Professor of Landscape and Ornamental Horticulture."
1930'sMark Shoemaker appointed as first "Professor of Landscape Design", and Holzapfel Hall becomes occupied by the Horticulture Department.
1993
Maryland Higher Education (MHEC) approves BLA. Thirteen BLA degrees awarded that academic year. Department name changed to Horticulture and Landscape Architecture. Robert Scarfo named first Landscape Architecture Coordinator.
1996Landscape Architecture Program moves into the new Plant Sciences Building and Digital Studio.
1997Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture merges with Agronomy to become Department of Natural Resource Sciences and Landscape Architecture.
1998BLA: granted initial accreditation by LAAB.
2001BLA: granted full accreditation by LAAB.
2006LAAB Scheduled BLA Accreditation Review:
Department of Natural Resource Sciences and Landscape Architecture renamed Department of Plant Science and Landscape Architecture.
2007Maryland Higher Education (MHEC) approves MLA.
2011MLA: granted initial accreditation by LAAB.

2012

2018

BLA: Renewal of Accreditation by LAAB. 

BLA and MLA: Renewal of Accreditation for 6 Years by LAAB

 

Using GIS to Determine Location Suitability

Entry Plaza for Proposed Coal Museum

Maintained by the IET Department of the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. © 2018. Web Accessibility